Creating Hope and Opportunity for Individuals and Communities through Education
The CHOICE Act, S.235, seeks to expand opportunities and foster success by providing students and parents greater choice when it comes to education. Senator Scott strongly believes that great teachers can make all the difference in a child’s life, and every student should have access to the school that best suits their unique needs.
- Encourages states to establish school choice programs for students with disabilities by providing startup funds to support the design and initial implementation of a disability choice program.
- Enables states that already run disability school choice programs to expand educational options for children with special needs with federal dollars.
- Creates a pilot program under the Department of Defense on at least 5 bases without DoD Education Activity schools to provide scholarships to students in military families on base of up to $8,000 for elementary and $12,000 for high school.
- Requires an annual report as well as a final report on participation numbers, applicants, participating schools, and parental satisfaction, to ensure accountability and transparency.
- Expands educational options for low-income students by requiring excess carry-over funds that are not needed for the continuation of current participants’ scholarships be used to increase promotion and outreach and support more scholarships.
- Ensures children currently enrolled in private schools who meet all of the DC OSP eligibility requirements are not unnecessarily excluded from participation.
Tuesday | January 23, 2018
U.S. Senator Tim Scott (R-SC), a long time champion of school choice and member of the Senate Education Committee, today introduced a resolution declaring this week National School Choice Week.Read More
Wednesday | January 25, 2017
Scott Introduces CHOICE Act for Military Families, Parents of Students with Disabilities and Low Income Families
In conjunction with National School Choice Week, U.S. Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) today introduced the Creating Hope and Opportunity for Individuals and Communities through Education Act (S. 235), or CHOICE Act.Read More
Monday | January 23, 2017
U.S. Senator Tim Scott (R-SC), a leading voice on education in the United States Senate, released the statement below regarding National School Choice Week, which begins today and ends Friday, January 27.Read More
Tuesday | December 6, 2016
Today, the Senate Opportunity Coalition (SOC) released its second report reviewing their continued progress in identifying common obstacles faced by millions of Americans still living in poverty.Read More
Tuesday | July 5, 2016
The Post & Courier (Charleston, SC) highlighted Senator Scott's continued efforts to help South Carolinians and low-income communities across the country.Read More
Monday | May 2, 2016
U.S. Senator Tim Scott (R-SC), a leading advocate for school choice in the United States Senate, issued the following statement highlighting the importance of school choice during National Charter Schools Week, which runs from May 1 through May 7, 2016.Read More
Monday | January 25, 2016
Scott Sponsors Resolution Declaring National School Choice Week, Calls for Swift Reauthorization of DC OSP
U.S. Senator Tim Scott (R-SC), a leading advocate for school choice in the United States Senate and sponsor of the "National School Choice Week" resolution, issued the following statement at the beginning of "National School Choice Week," which takes place January 25 through January 31:Read More