Scott: Despite Challenges With Bill, We Must Stand Up For Our Military
Washington – U.S. Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) released the statement below regarding the spending bill passed by Congress early this morning that would significantly increase resources available for our men and women in uniform, as well as a variety of other priorities of Senator Scott.
“This is not a perfect bill by any means. As someone who consistently votes against wasteful government spending, the structure of this legislation made my decision a tough one. However, after years of our military being underfunded, this deal is a unique opportunity to right the wrongs Washington has made in our defense spending over the past eight years. Our men and women in uniform put their lives on the line every single day, and its about time they know Washington has their back not just with words, but with actions.”
The bill also includes the following provisions supported by Senator Scott:
- The Protecting Access to Diabetes Supplies Act, a bipartisan bill introduced by Senator Scott and Senator Mark Warner (D-VA), which will help ensure Medicare beneficiaries have access to important diabetes testing supplies.
- The Federal Disaster Assistance Nonprofit Fairness Act, which Senator Scott helped introduce with Senator Roy Blunt (R-MO), and gives religious nonprofits the same opportunity to apply for disaster assistance as their secular counterparts.
- Reauthorization of the Maternal, Infant, and Early Childhood Home Visiting (MIECHV) Program, which in South Carolina is known as the Nurse-Family Partnership Program. Senator Scott has been a vocal advocate and defender of this program on the Senate Health Committee.
- A two-year extension of funding for Community Health Centers.
- Extension of the Investing In Opportunity Act to Puerto Rico.
Next Article Previous Article