Sen. Scott Celebrates National Police Week, Resolution Passes Senate
WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Tim Scott (R-S.C.) joined 78 of his Senate colleagues in championing a resolution declaring May 14th – May 20th National Police Week, which passed the Senate this week.
“Our police officers bravely answer the call of duty to protect our families each and every day. By ensuring the safety of our communities, we’re planting the seeds of hope for a better future for all Americans,” said Senator Scott. “I’ll never waver in my commitment to support our police and their efforts to build safe communities.”
Senator Scott was joined by Senators Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), John Cornyn (R-Texas), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), Mike Lee (R-Utah), Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Chris Coons (D-Del.), Josh Hawley (R-Mo.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii), John Kennedy (R-La.), Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.), Thom Tillis (R-N.C.), Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), Tom Carper (D-Del.), Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), Ben Cardin (D-Md.), Bob Casey (D-Pa.), Susan Collins (R-Maine), Catherine Cortez Masto (D-Nev.), Mike Crapo (R-Idaho), John Fetterman (D-Pa.), Lisa Murkowski (R-Ala.), Maggie Hassan (D-N.H.), John Thune (R-S.D.), Tim Kaine (D-Va.), John Barrasso (R-Wyo.), Angus King (I-Maine), Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), Ben Lujan (D-N.M.), Jim Risch (R-Idaho), Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), Jerry Moran (R-Kansas), Ed Markey (D-Mass.), John Boozman (R-Ark.), Bob Menendez (D-N.J.), John Hoeven (R-N.D.), Gary Peters (D-Mich.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Jacky Rosen (D-Nev.), Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii), Rand Paul (R-Ky.), Jon Tester (D-Mont.), Raphael Warnock (D-Ga.), Deb Fischer (R-Neb.), Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.), Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.), Bill Cassidy (R-La.), Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.), James Lankford (R-Okla.), Jack Reed (D-R.I.), Steve Daines (R-Mont.), Michael Bennet (D-Colo.), Mike Rounds (R-S.D.), Joni Ernst (R-Iowa), Dan Sullivan (R-Ala.), Todd Young (R-Ind.), Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.), Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.), Mitt Romney (R-Utah), Mike Braun (R-Ind.), Rick Scott (R-Fla.), Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.), Roger Marshall (R-Kansas), Bill Hagerty (R-Tenn.), Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.), Markwayne Mullin (R-Okla.), Tedd Budd (R-N.C.), J.D. Vance (R-Ohio), Pete Ricketts (R-Neb.), Eric Schmitt (R-Mo.), and Katie Britt (R-Ala).
Senator Scott has championed law enforcement and their efforts to protect American communities by:
- Pushing the Stop Dangerous Sanctuary Cities Act, which frees local law enforcement to cooperate with federal immigration authorities and pull taxpayer-funded grants to sanctuary cities;
- Passing the Law Enforcement De-escalation Training Act which ensures that law enforcement is equipped with the resources and training to respond to any emergency for the safety of both the officers and communities they serve.
- Advocating for the Safe Kids, Safe Schools, Safe Communities Act of 2022, which would enhance school security and double the number of school resource officers in America’s schools, invest in school mental health professionals and reduce gun violence;
- Championing the Combating the Violent and Dangerous Crime Act, which gives law enforcement the legal clarity and efficiency they need to deter criminal activity;
- Calling out the Biden administration’s soft-on-crime policies while the nation faces surging crime;
- Urging Senate Democrats to support funding for police departments around the nation;
- Calling for funding police departments to combat crime in our communities across the country.
Read full text of the resolution here.