Scott, Colleagues Introduce National School Choice Week Resolution
WASHINGTON – U.S. Senators Tim Scott (R-S.C.), Congressional School Choice Caucus co-chair, and Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) introduced a resolution designating next week, January 23 through January 29, 2022, as National School Choice Week.
“The pandemic has highlighted the challenges many families face when seeking a quality education for their children,” said Sen. Scott. “The facts are simple: If we want to give children a greater chance in life, we must give parents a greater choice in education. A child’s destiny shouldn’t be determined by their zip code.”
“We are grateful for this bipartisan recognition of National School Choice Week and our positive focus on raising awareness of the traditional public, public charter, public magnet, private, online, and home education options available to families across our country. National School Choice Week is a time to empower parents with information and inspiration, and an opportunity to celebrate the success of students and the dedication of America’s hardworking educators,” said Andrew Campanella, president of National School Choice Week.
Senators Scott and Feinstein were joined on the resolution by Senators Mike Braun (R-Ind.), Richard Burr (R-N.C.), Bill Cassidy (R-La.), John Cornyn (R-Texas), Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.), Steve Daines (R-Mont.), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.), Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), James Lankford (R-Okla.), Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), Mitt Romney (R-Utah), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Rick Scott (R-Fla.), Thom Tillis (R-N.C.), Pat Toomey (R-Pa.), Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), Todd Young (R-Ind.), Joni Ernst (R-Iowa), Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), Bill Hagerty (R-Tenn.), Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.), and Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.).
Click here to read the full resolution.
With education at the top of mind for parents and families across the nation, Sen. Scott has led several efforts to give them greater autonomy over their children’s education. Recently, Sen. Scott:
- Reintroduced the CHOICE Act to foster children’s success by providing parents greater educational options;
- Introduced a resolution celebrating National Charter Schools Week;
- Penned a Fox News op-ed about the merits of school choice;
- Held a discussion on the future of school choice with former Education Secretary Betsy DeVos;
- Released a video debunking myths surrounding school choice;
- Facilitated a meeting with School Choice Caucus members and former Secretary Condoleezza Rice to discuss protecting parental involvement in education; and
- Signed a resolution supporting parents’ rights to be fully and actively involved in their children’s education.