Sen. Tim Scott continues his efforts to fight sickle cell disease.
I am a passionate advocate for patient-centered health care. Doctors and their patients, not the federal government, should be making health care decisions. We all want every American to have access to affordable care; however, there are stark contrasts in how Democrats and Republicans believe we get there.
I support real solutions to rising health care costs:
- Allowing insurance companies to operate under interstate commerce laws will lead to more competition, better prices and offerings.
- Businesses and the self-employed receive a tax deduction for insurance premiums. Let’s extend that to individuals, giving an incentive instead of a deterrent for buying health care.
- Preexisting conditions can make insurance for many people unaffordable or simply unavailable. High risk pools were functioning well in many states before ObamaCare–providing affordable coverage to those with preexisting conditions without raising premiums for everyone else. States should be permitted to create these pools again.
- Defensive medicine costs more than $100 billion a year.
- Texas and New York show us the path forward here. Following passage of TORT reform in Texas, malpractice insurance rates have fallen more than 60 percent. Meanwhile, malpractice premiums in New York have increased by 60 percent. The result? Around 2,000 physicians have moved their practices from New York to Texas due to lower rates.
- Allow small businesses to pool employees for coverage.
These policies, centered around what’s best for patients, are what will truly transform our health care system. Obamacare’s government-centric path, leading to exploding premiums and deductibles while placing a huge financial burden on the entire nation, must be stopped. I will continue to work towards the repeal of the Affordable Care Act, and to replace it with solutions that will tackle health care costs and improve access.
Monday | December 21, 2020
U.S. Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) released the statement below tonight following Senate passage of three bills providing COVID-19 relief, government funding, and tax extenders. More than a dozen Scott-led provisions are headed to become law, click here for more information.Read More
Monday | December 21, 2020
More than a dozen provisions authored by U.S. Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) to help American families, students and workers are included as part of major COVID-19 relief, government funding, and tax packages currently before Congress.Read More
Wednesday | September 16, 2020
U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina) and Tim Scott (R-South Carolina) today introduced The State Fix Act to help promote rural and underserved broadband access in South Carolina and around the nation. The legislation builds upon legislation the South Carolina senators introduced earlier this year, The Governors Broadband Development Fund.Read More
Friday | September 11, 2020
Scott and New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker introduced a resolution Thursday designating September as Sickle Cell Disease Awareness Month to educate communities across the United States about sickle cell disease and the need to combat it.
- Thursday | October 26, 2017
- Wednesday | October 18, 2017
- Thursday | October 12, 2017